Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spring "Break"

Hello everyone.

After reading Satie's post below, I got to thinking that: how much break do we really get?

I will never be one to complain about a week off of classes, and I know it makes a huge difference when you are heading to Florida or Cabo to get out of the freezing Madison atmosphere every now and then, but is this break a really a break?

Let me explain a bit. I have a test and three papers due the week I get back to Madison. None of the work is too grueling, but work is work. I have decided not to worry one bit about any of it this week, but I can't imagine most people are on the same page as me. I just don't want to deal with the stress. However, think about the kids who are in Florida soaking in the sun all week, having a few sodas, and meeting a few friends. They will come back on a plane or long car ride exhausted. They may have the times of their lives, but is it really a break. To be honest, break is all about what you make it. I just feel like tests, papers, and projects are a little unfair to be assigned right away afterward. These are just my thoughts.

-Woey

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! I’m not doing anything for break besides sitting at my house and working, but I still have a huge list of things I need to do for school. As much as I would have loved to go on a vacation for spring break, if I did go somewhere, I don’t know how I would deal with all the school work I need to do. Spring break isn’t really a vacation; it is just a break from going to class. Classes stop for a week, but the work never really ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly the way I look at it! I won't complain about having it, but it usually don't feel all that refreshed afterward.

    -Woey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree Woey. Spring break is a time to relax and not worry about school work. It is very cruel of teachers or professors to have exams or papers due the week we get back. I had a paper due the day we got back from spring break. I feel like they are just trying to set you up for failure. I mean do you honestly think the students are going to do well on their paper when they have just had a week off? I wish professors would take this into perspective more because it does have an affect on our performance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be an understatement to say the work isn't cruel. Going to a top University, there is no slack work that really can be done. I don't know why teachers feel the need to load on the work over this "break". It is almost like they are setting us up for failure. I do know, that if I ever was a professor, i would definitely take into consideration the student's leisure time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was exactly what I was getting at. Technically, we are accountable and do not have a choice. But I am not so sure that the whole thing is fair to us.

    ReplyDelete