Monday, March 5, 2012

See Who Is Tracking You Online




In every media class I have ever taken I have learned about the big bad companies buying and selling my information to one another.  I never really cared, cause hey what can I do about it? I don't even know who these mystery companies are. The fact is whenever you serf the net, websites are inserting cookies to extract information about you or at least observing the things you search for and click on.  The web browser Firefox has created a program that allows users to creep on their creepers. It is called "Collusion" and monitors the sites that set cookies to inform others of your visit.  A small button in the bottom right hand corner of the Firefox window is the gateway to finally seeing who wants to know everything about you.  The information "Collusion" provides is in a web format; the center of the web is the site you are currently on, and branching out into satellite pods are the sites that are potentially extracting your information without your knowledge. If you are a Firefox user and are interested in the sites that are receiving information about your online escapades, check out "Collusion".

Collusion

-Dubs

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard about this before.. It's seems very interesting and I would love to try it! Seems weird to me that they can track everywhere you have been on the web. After your explanation on Collusion I think I will give it a try. Thanks Dubs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very cool tool that I never knew about. I installed it right after I read your post and it was very interesting to see how my web grew as I kept searching the web. I will for sure keep checking as I browse through different websites. I think this is a tool that everyone should know about. Thank you for posting about this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Collusion" sounds like a very interesting tool and I'm surprised I have never heard about it before. I never thought about the fact that websites are tracking things I search or click on and are essentially stalking my internet browsing. I will definitely consider downloading Collusion because I would like to know who is tracking me! Maybe I will even learn some things about myself by going back through my web browsing history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really neat actually! I never really thought about what websites are taking information from my computer, and that my searches are all being watched pretty much. Collusion sounds like a really cool tool to use! I've never heard of it, and I am going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete