Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Madison Media Mayhem


Hey all !
So today I was walking home from my Italian class, and as I went down the steps on the side of Bascom (a shortcut I secretly believe is easier than trudging up and down Bascom itself) I noticed what looked like a mini-photo shoot. It looked pretty neat, so I shamelessly stared as I walked by wondering, "Whassup?"

This little trivial event on my walk home got me thinking about all the different activities going on around campus every day. We are so fortunate to attend a university as diverse and teeming with activity as this one; I figure it's a shame to not take advantage of all the activities it has to offer!

I know it seems impossible to keep up with everything going on around campus, but every day I find myself discovering more and more links to life here in Madison. In today's Internet-saturated world, we are constantly exposed to news updates on Twitter, Facebook, via email, and on blogs. So, to make things a little easier for you, I've compiled a list of some of my favorite Madison-minded sites. Bon appétit !

Facebook - just type "UW Madison" into your search bar, click on "Pages", "Places" or "Events" and trillions of results will come up! BOOM Insta-info !
UW Madhatters
UW Madison Division of Recreational Sports
Der Rathskeller Union - Yellow Ostrich & Lower Dens 
University of Wisconsin Madison 

Twitter - simply type "Wisconsin" into your search bar and your Tweet-feed will be filled with cheese-friendly Tweets !

Badger Herald Shout Outs (I am obsessed; I really am. It's unhealthy.)
Things to do in Madison  (A little ad-saturated but still has some fun things!)
Madison Metro (Plan your trip! Super helpful!)

Monona Terrace (Branch out from the Memorial Union every once in a while!)
Olbrich Botanical Gardens (One of the top 10 most inspiring gardens in North America, NEAT-O!)

I hope this extensive list of resources encourages you UW students to branch out and try new things around Madison! Or maybe it will encourage some of you out-of-towners or out-of-staters to come see what fantastic things our amazing city has to offer!

Have you been to any of these places before? Do you find any of these social media sites helpful? Are there any other online resources you rely on to keep you up-to-date or in-the-know?

Share your sources!
Satie Klavin

4 comments:

  1. I am a pretty big tweeter and I really enjoy UW Shout outs! It's the one twitter account that I follow and actually get sent to my texts because it's hilarious when you see the person on campus that got a shoutout. But now that you brought to my attention that there are Badger Herald Shoutouts, I am really interested in reading those, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the calendar is the best resource for finding the cool little events, talks, and exhibits going on every day on campus. Literally dozens daily. Plus, if you are hungry, it's a great resource for tracking down events with free food involved.

    http://www.today.wisc.edu/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually do follow a lot of the UW accounts and some of them even follow me! I think they are extremely helpful and rather having to filter out all the events, the event come directly to me ( Via Facebook Invites) If it weren't for some of the Facebook event invites, I would not know of the events that are held on campus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! I've heard about a lot of these things, such as shout outs, but never really knew where to look. I also have a hard time keeping up with what's happening on campus outside of my social circle, so this list is a great reference for finding stuff to do.

    ReplyDelete