Monday, April 30, 2012

Don't Go?

Well, everyone, the Mifflin Street Block Party is less than one week away. While I think many people are excited, the recent buzz around the event has not been all positive. Dean of Students Lori Berquam became famous, (or maybe infamous,) last week for posting a video telling students not to go to Mifflin. After much criticism, the video was removed almost as soon as it was put up, however once things are on the internet, as we have learned, they do not simply go away. Here is the video:


And here is a remix made by students:


Now I will not comment on what I think about the content in the video. However, two things that relate to media fluency can be taken from this situation. One, like I said, internet content does not simply just go away. (A great meme could be made out of that idea.) Second, whether people criticize Berquam or not, she got her message of safety and advice across. Everyone can make fun of her, but the internet has proven once again that it reaches students in a strong way.

Hope you enjoyed the videos and understand I am not ripping the message. I just wanted to place a spotlight on a specific UW example of how quickly a simple message can turn into collaborative production and remix videos.

Have a great day!

-Woey

1 comment:

  1. I will not comment on my opinions of these videos either, however, I do think this demonstrates how fast information can get across through the internet nowadays. That video spread and was made into many different things in a matter of hours. I agree with you on how information is never completely gone off of the internet. This videos can still be accessed all over Facebook and Youtube.

    ReplyDelete